A simple summer favorite like potato salad can easily be made healthier by using an egg-free mayonnaise. Try Follow Your Heart’s Vegenaise, Earth Balance’s Mindful Mayo, or Hampton Creek’s Just Mayo for a rich, creamy flavor without the artery-clogging cholesterol. Leaving the skin on the red potatoes gives the dish added color and texture. This updated classic will make the perfect accompaniment to a veggie burger at your next backyard barbecue.
Creamy Potato Salad
- 3 ½ lbs. red potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ⅓ cup egg-free mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon or brown mustard
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup celery, diced
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until they can be easily pierced with a fork – make sure not to overcook or the salad will be too mushy. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again and set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well to combine.
- When the potatoes are fully cooled, place them in a large bowl with the celery, onion, and parsley. Mix gently to combine. Add the mayonnaise mixture and toss well to coat. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Adjust seasoning before serving.